Walter J Scott, Jr. Scholarship Program
The University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) invites inquiries, applications, and nominations for the position of Chief Marketing and Communications Officer (CMCO) . UNO seeks an experienced strategic thought leader, collaborative campus partner, and proven administrator to lead an inclusive, comprehensive and proactive communications and marketing team. The CMCO is responsible for advancing and protecting UNO’s reputation and brand while developing and leading a data-informed, proactive and comprehensive strategy for successful communications and marketing.
Reporting directly to Chancellor Joanne Li, the CMCO will be a key member of Chancellor Li’s Executive Team. The CMCO will be the chief communication strategist in a highly connected team environment including the executive leadership and college deans. The CMCO will be both an innovative, results oriented leader and a consensus builder. The CMCO counsels senior leadership and represents UNO to both internal and external communities. The role provides strategic, tactical, and operational support for internal clients, faculty, staff, students, and alumni.
Key Responsibilities: Refine and develop overall strategic communications and marketing plans aligned with UNO vision, mission, and strategic goals utilizing all appropriate channels (paid media, earned media, public relations, social media, and web presence, etc.); Serve as the primary university spokesperson and delegate/manage other spokespersons as needed; As a key member of the university Incident Command, lead institutional crisis communication; Develop and implement strategic media relations and internal communications to ensure consistent messaging across all channels to support an engaged informed campus (students, staff, and faculty) and community constituents; Build collaborative positive working relationships with campus leadership and communication personnel within units and establish the Office of Strategic Marketing and Communications as an innovative, problem-solving partner; Lead and support campus event staff to ensure successful, meaningful campus events; Lead the development and implementation of UNO’s marketing, branding, and communication strategies through the Office of Strategic Marketing and Communications; Manage the overall office budget including marketing budget to ensure effective ROI; Lead, manage, and support a multi-disciplinary, creative team promoting their individual and collective development and success.
Key Characteristics: Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team as well as effectively lead teams and nurture the talents of others; Excellent written and oral communication skills including effective interpersonal communication, active listening, and political acumen; Commitment to UNO’s mission as an urban, public, research university engaged with the community and all of its constituents; Strategic thinker with the ability to develop and implement long and short-term communication plans in the context of the university’s values, vision, mission, and goals; agile and flexible in order to strategically balance multiple responsibilities and meet established goals; and committed to the highest ethical and professional standards.
To apply, please visit: https://unomaha.peopleadmin.com/postings/17404
(1) Bachelor’s degree (from any discipline) with professional experience in communication, journalism, marketing, public relations, advertising or related field;
(2) minimum of five years of supervisory experience with progressive responsibility including demonstrated experience advising senior-level administrators/executives;
(3) successful experience working in a complex, matrixed environment with multiple internal/external audiences;
(4) demonstrated success in managing and supporting creative people and teams;
(5) demonstrated experience in developing and implementing effective communication and marketing plans, programs and activities and the metrics to determine success/impact;
(6) demonstrated effective crisis communication experience;
(7) knowledge and understanding of technical applications including design concepts, various media and channels, applications, etc. to effectively manage and supervise professional, technical staff.
Salary Information: Competitive and commensurate with experience.
This position is eligible for the NUFlex Benefits Package:
- Health/Dental/Vision Insurance
- Prescription Drug Coverage
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Care Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee +One
- Flexible Spending Account
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Employee and Dependent Scholarship
- Holidays +floating holidays during the winter shutdown
- More info here: https://nebraska.edu/faculty-and-staff
Additional Benefits to Working at UNO:
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Attend on-campus events (concerts, theatre, sports)
- Inclusive Environment
- Durango Discounts Program
- MavRIDE bus program
- Discounted Wellness Center Membership
- Get to know the O: https://www.unomaha.edu/about-uno/advantage.php
Get to know Omaha: https://www.unomaha.edu/about-uno/city-of-omaha.php
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Initial screening for minimum qualifications will begin immediately. Detailed review of applications for candidacy will begin on or after 03/24/2022. To ensure full consideration, please apply by the review date.
All interested parties must apply through unomaha.peopleadmin.com. Materials submitted by other means will not be considered.
The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, relation, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status and/or political affiliation in its programs, activities, or employment. UNO is an AA/EEO/ADA institution. For questions, accommodations or assistance, please call/contact the ADA Coordinator at 402.554.2463.